11.18.2008

buttermilk mashed potatoes



I don't have an exact recipe for this, but here's what I did... cut 4 red potatoes into small (1"-ish) cubes, put them in a pot of salted water (enough to cover the potatoes), and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes are nice and tender.

Drain the water out, and mash with a potato masher. If you don't have one, use a whisk, fork, or anything else that passes for a mashing device (besides your fist, you'll burn yourself).

Add a few pats of butter and a little bit of milk (maybe about 1/4 cup). Mix around to combine. Then add a little bit of buttermilk, to the desired consistency. Season with salt & pepper, and add some fresh chopped parsley.

(If you don't have buttermilk, you could just substitute more milk. I just happen to have some buttermilk on hand that I have to use up.)

1 comment:

Mister-E said...

Looks deeeelicious!
I have a similar recipe but instead of buttermilk I substitute a slice of Velveeta cheese and instead of potatoes I use 2 slices of Wonder Bread.
Gives it a bit more of a sandwichy feel, though I still call it "buttermilk mashed potatoes".